WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Friday, January 21, 2011

January 21

Satan will try to convince you that your sin renders you useless to God.” H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 1/21

It seems that all my reading material at the moment concerns the power of sin, or is it like when you’re pregnant you suddenly feel the whole world is pregnant because you notice all the other pregnant women for the first time.  It is also interesting how the mind works in conjunction with the eye.   Simple shading of an object and its placement can fool the eye we say--but the eye is only the vehicle for the information.  It is the brain that translates it and therefore must be held accountable for the deception.  

Yesterday I was thinking that Christianity came down to a battle within the mind.  This thought greatly discouraged me.  It’s ALL just in my head?! But, praise the Lord!  His Light shone on one little word “in” and His truth revealed that the word should be “for”.  Now I am no longer discouraged.  What I understand now is that the battle is not IN my mind, but FOR my mind.  I no longer need be the one fighting against the deceiving thoughts--which is tiring and overwhelming--I can’t keep it up for long.  Instead, I need only step aside and let God fight the battle.  He has already won the war, but the battle also belongs to the Lord!

“Thus says the LORD to you, ‘Fear not, and be not dismayed at this great multitude; for the battle is not yours but God’s.’” 2 Chronicles 20:15b

No comments:

Post a Comment