WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Monday, January 24, 2011

January 24

“Christianity is not a set of teachings to understand.  It is a Person to follow.....As you walk daily with Him, Jesus will answer your questions, and you will discover far more than you even knew to ask.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-By-Day, 1/24

We awoke to no water this morning and soon discovered it was due to a frozen pipe.  We’ve lived in this house for almost 22 years and have never had a frozen pipe before.  So why now?  We’re having colder temperatures for a longer time than I can ever remember but also two years ago we had to reroute a leaky  water pipe that brought water into the house from the well.  Because it was under the basement floor, it was easier to put in a new pipe overhead.  The new one was plastic--again because it was easier.  The room in the basement where this pipe enters the house is only used for storage.  It has an auxiliary electric heater in it, but was not turned on because the clutter had grown too close to it. This is a good picture for me concerning my relationship with God.  While taking the easy route may be the most practical solution to a problem we must be careful to examine the repercussions and take whatever precautions necessary.  Freedom in Christ means I no longer need to be legalistic--that is, cross every “t” and dot every “i”, but it doesn’t mean I mustn’t be diligent to follow Christ and the law of love.  My flesh will entice me to think otherwise for it is what I know best and with which I feel most comfortable.  That is why I constantly need an example to follow--so that I do not stray from that path which God has laid out for me.

“Be sober, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking some one to devour.”  1 Peter 5:8 

No comments:

Post a Comment