WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March 8


“How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace....I will make the place of my feet glorious.” Isaiah 52:7a, 60:13b

Eugenia Price writes:  “No matter how many mountains our feet cross, no matter how beautifully we couch the “good tidings” nor how magnificently we ‘publish peace’, we can leave behind only the footprints of our ‘busy selves’, unless Christ is dwelling fully within us.”  It is His footprints that are left behind. This reminds me of a story I heard on the radio this week of the father who was a pastor and wanted to give his young children an illustration of what it meant to walk with God.  He took them out into the snow-covered yard and took huge steps in the deep snow.  Then told them to follow in his footsteps.  They were not able to match his stride and fell on their faces.  Then he placed the youngest child’s feet on his feet and holding her hands he retraced his steps.  The child saw that she could only walk in her father’s footsteps if she stood on HIS feet.  This is a wonderful picture for us to keep in our minds as we so often try to follow behind in Jesus footsteps when we should be standing on His feet.  It is HIS footprints that are left when we quit doing things in our own strength and rely totally on Him for all things--not only when the snow is deep.

“He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?”  Micah 6:8

No comments:

Post a Comment