WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Friday, April 15, 2011

April 15


“The highway of holiness is not a place but a way....We may for a moment turn aside from a path, but the path is not obliterated by our wandering and can be instantly regained.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 4/15

I’m beginning to see this path of sanctification much more clearly, and as I do, it’s beginning to fade because I no longer see it as an actual road that one can find plotted out on a map.  Instead, this path is a person--Jesus Christ in me, guiding me through life.  There is no path laid out for me that I can see.  It’s there, in the sense that God sees it, but there’s nary a footprint on my path because I haven’t made it yet. Before, I saw a path in front of me, and I tried to walk in it only to discover I’d been distracted from it.  Or, I was so intent on what lay ahead that I missed everything along the way that I was suppose to be enjoying.  Now, I realize, my path lies hidden from me.  God knows the way, and it is Him that I listen to for my next step.  Eventually, I hope I won’t even have to listen with my ears for if I can learn to listen with my heart, I will be able to pay attention even more so to my surroundings.  I will be able to see all the people laying along side the path that God wants me to minister to for Him.  And I’ll be able to feel the wind in my hair and the Son on my face.

“Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?”  Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me.  If you had known me, you would have known my Father also, henceforth you know him and have seen him.”    John 14:5, 6

No comments:

Post a Comment