WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

April 20


“No safe teacher of the life of faith ever says that it becomes impossible to sin; he only insists that sin ceases to be a necessity and, therefore, continual victory is available to us.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 4/20

This is one of those truths I espoused for years yet have not lived.  What does this say about me?  Am I just all talk?  Am I of the “do as I say not as I do” generation?  This bears looking into, I’d say.  Do I merely take pride in what I know?  I can see why God would put me into the background these past few years--I was like a loose cannon with no plan for going into the bombed territory with help to rebuild.  How can I expect to help people rebuild their lives after I’ve “exposed” their weakness if I am not an example myself of the victorious life in Christ?  Thank you, Lord, for putting me here, despite my protests.  I shall learn not only how to be a good example of a person who no longer needs to sin, but I shall also learn contentment.

“I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound; in any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and want.  I can do all things in him who strengthens me.”  Philippians 4:12, 13

No comments:

Post a Comment