WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

April 26


“Our world promotes dissatisfaction with our lives.  We are constantly bombarded with newer and better things that will make our lives more complete if only we would obtain them!...Discontent stems from the sin of ingratitude and a lack of faith that God loves you enough to provide for all that you need.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-By-Day, 4/26

When I read Blackaby’s words this morning I knew I would write about it today.  In the meantime I went to one of the better furniture stores in town--one I usually avoid because of the prices but wanted to check it out just in case they had what I was looking for in their marked-down area.  As I wound my way through the displays of beautifully-crafted pieces I found myself coveting.  I had to make a conscious effort to picture the furniture I had at home and acknowledge that it was nice, too, and met my needs.  In fact, it was far nicer than I’d ever hoped to have.  Once I left the store I felt the dissatisfaction subside and was glad to be out of there.  But as I reread Blackaby’s devotional I realized that there’s more to discontent than just physical possessions.  I could live totally isolated from the world and still be discontented with my life.  It could be the weather, my natural abilities, or the people around me.  This sin of ingratitude lies waiting to pounce on us in our least suspecting moments.  It is constant.  This is why our only hope is to give our wills to God because it is only then we can be freed from this self-centered, green-eyed monster called discontent.

“Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving, and pay your vows to the Most High; and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.”  Psalm 50:14, 15

No comments:

Post a Comment