WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Monday, April 4, 2011

April 4


"I believe the real question that ought to be put to the soul is not ‘Do you love God?’ but ‘Do you believe God is lovable?’”  Hannah Whitall Smith, Safe Within Your Love, pg. 144

Yes, this IS the real question we need to have settled.  We can say we love God because we want Him to love us back.  I’m sure this is what some people do, just like they will throw out an “I love you” to someone hoping to elicit a return “I love you, too.”  1 John 4:19 tells us that we love because God first loved us.  So if we love God it’s BECAUSE He loves us.  Even knowing that God loves us doesn’t settle the real question.  How many of us have someone we know who loves us but it doesn’t change how we feel about them?   So the question, like Hannah says, isn’t whether we love God, but do we believe God is lovable.  Throughout scripture we are told God is love, but until we believe it for ourselves we will not trust Him.  And if we don’t trust Him then where are we left?  Alone and lost.  No wonder so many professing Christians have put their trust in their flesh.  That has become their only hope.  So, dear friend, please ask yourself this question:  Do YOU believe God is lovable?  If not, it may be the only question you need to have settled.

“Through him you have confidence in God, who raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.*”  1 Peter 1:21

*Harper Study Bible, RSV [so that your faith is hope in God]

2 comments:

  1. You are right about the trusting in Him. I had a hard time trusting Him because so many things seemed to go wrong and I felt like a failure, but when I gave up trying to please Him, it seemed He picked me up and started showing me how He had used all of the pains in my life to protect, strengthen, guide, and mature me. He even showed me that the pains of life were His “love gifts” to me. The following is one of my poems:

    ONE IN LOVE

    No earthly words can ‘er describe
    The Wonderful God You Are.
    One who gives and gives again,
    Filling the needs in me, by far.

    When I was a child, You were my Friend.
    In growing, my help and pride.
    Still older, You became my Life;
    Now You’re my Lover and I’m Your bride.

    When lonely, You commune with me;
    When hurt, You share concern;
    When angry, You persuadeth me
    To receive Your wisdom and learn.

    You’ve given me the greatest Gift
    By giving Yourself to me;
    To have, to hold, within my soul,
    Becoming One in pure harmony.

    You’ve given me security,
    As I dwell within Your Arms.
    You’ve given me the Joy of Life
    When You share Your secret charms.

    You’ve given me Your own insight,
    In trials, the good to see.
    You’ve given me the greatest Gift
    By the giving of Yourself to me.

    Molly P. Dulaney 9/89

    ReplyDelete