WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Monday, May 2, 2011

May 2


‘“Hope springs eternal’ from the heart that is one with God.  But if there is one single point on which we are not obeying His slightest whisper, we cannot ‘commune with our own hearts... and be still.’ (Psalm 4:4)Eugenia Price, S.P.S. 5/2

This week I’ve been scraping, scrubbing, and scouring the old tile in the basement so that there won’t be “one single point” at which the new tile won’t “commune” with the old tile.  If I didn’t do this, all my hard labor and expense of putting down the new tile would soon be lost because over time the new tile would begin to lift or crack.  In order to make sure it adheres properly I must do the unseen work of preparation.  Our Christian life needs the same sort of preparation.  Eugenia points out that we cannot experience this hope in our hearts if our hearts cannot commune with God because of disobedience.  God is a holy and just God and expects obedience.  We have no excuse because He has given us His Holy Spirit to enable us to obey.  Therefore, all disobedience is pure willfulness--definitely not an expression of love to God.  As children of a loving God we must learn obedience and have a Godly sorrow when we do fail.  He is able to restore us, but we must be still and commune with our own hearts so that our hearts will be one with God.

“I was blameless before him, and I kept myself from guilt.  Therefore the LORD has recompensed me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in his sight.”  Psalm 18:23, 24

No comments:

Post a Comment