WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Saturday, May 28, 2011

May 28


“All of us have struggles....But if we truly set our heart to trusting God, and if we stay thankful even in the midst of our troubles, we’ll be more likely to acknowledge that we ‘don’t have anything to complain about.’”  Dave Branon, Daily Bread, 5/28

We have had so much rain this Spring that we’ve not been able to cut the grass and because of all the snow we had last winter the trees and bushes have seemed to double in size this year. Consequently, as I drove up our long driveway yesterday I felt I was driving into a woodland hideaway.  God has reminded me how I’d grown tired of the barrenness of winter and had longed for some greenery.  I would say He has answered the desire of my heart because now everything is so lush!  I had been feeling irritated by the overgrown look of my yard until God showed this to me.  In that moment I found myself enjoying the overgrowth because now I saw it as God giving me more than I had asked for.  My eyes had longed for green and He has given me an overabundance of green!  I was then reminded of the drought we’d had last summer and how my gardens had shriveled up. Now when I look at the unkempt look of my yard I see God’s abundance.  Everything doesn’t have to be perfectly “in place” in order for me to enjoy the beauty that it holds.  Just knowing that God is in it is enough for me.

“For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities, for when I am weak, then I am strong.”  2 Corinthians 12:10

No comments:

Post a Comment