WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Friday, May 6, 2011

May 6


“Never, under any circumstances, has it really in the end paid you to try and exalt your great exacting ME, for always, sooner or later, it has all proved to be nothing but meaningless and a vexation of spirit.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, Daily Secrets, 5/6

Hannah often speaks of “common sense things”.  I am a great believer in common sense, yet when it comes to ME, I am often blinded.  But no more!  I was complaining in my journal this morning that it looked like my husband and sons would neglect to acknowledge the upcoming Mother’s Day holiday to my satisfaction. I didn’t want to feel this way and asked God’s help.  Then I read Hannah’s words and realized that it was ME that was causing me to feel this way.  The big ME wanted to be married and have children, but as usual ME is never satisfied.  Now it not only wants to receive honor, it also wants husband and children to be thoughtful.  I realized that if ME got those things it probably would want more or something else it didn’t have.  In that moment ME was exposed.  This longing I had belonged to ME, not to the new creature that I am.  I felt released from and relieved of the bondage to ME that ME was attempting to put me in.  Why even try to please ME when it always wants more.  The common sense thing is to ignore it when it starts it’s griping and grumbling.  Sooner or later it will grow tired and give up.

“Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same nature, that through death he might destroy him who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong bondage.”  Hebrews 2:14, 15

No comments:

Post a Comment