WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

June 15


“Contrary to the often heard interpretation, by which followers of the “moonlight and roses” cults go about trying to declare that all things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely and of good report, Paul is being almost brutally realistic here.  Christianity deals entirely with reality.”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S., 6/15

Eugenia is referring to Philippians 4:8 in which Paul says “whatsoever things are....”  I was stunned to realize I was guilty of glossing over the “whatsoever” in this verse.  In fact, what stands out in my mind is that every time I’ve read that verse I’ve been peeved with having to reiterate that word with each attribute....whatsoever....are honest...whatsoever...are just.....I wanted to just list the items one after another.  No wonder Paul repeats the “whatsoever” every time.  He didn’t want us to miss his point!  Pain and suffering are a part of this world and we can’t make them go away by pretending they don’t exist or by medicating ourselves in some way so that we don’t feel the effects.  Instead we are to concentrate on “whatsoever” IS true, whatsoever IS honest, whatsoever IS just, whatsoever IS pure, whatsoever IS lovely, and whatsoever IS of good report.  By doing so we will be focusing on God who is all these things.  It is there we will be kept in perfect peace.

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever is true, whatsoever is honorable, whatsoever is just, whatsoever is pure, whatsoever is lovely, whatsoever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.  What you have learned and received and heard and see in me, do; and the God of peace will be with you.”  Philippians 4:8, 9

No comments:

Post a Comment