WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

June 22


“I have been guilty of excusing my lack of faith on the grounds that I was ‘confused’ as to what God really meant....Was it wrong or merely ‘acquired conscience’?”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S., 6/22

Eugenia points out that God has “made a neat little outline for us to follow in order to find out ‘what’s right and what’s wrong’:  1. Do everything you do and say everything you say “in the name of the Lord”;  2. Do everything you do and say everything you say in an attitude of thanksgiving to God.” (Colossians 3:17) A while back there was a lot of merchandising using WWJD (What Would Jesus Do).  By having bracelets and Tee Shirts with those initials we were supposed to be reminded to behave ourselves.  I wonder if it made very much difference?  The world doesn’t seem any better for it.  As I ponder the difference it would make in my life if I did and said everything in the name of the Lord I realize it’s the second point--the attitude of thanksgiving--that really must come first.  If I, under no circumstances, failed to be grateful I’d be halfway there.  I would no longer complain about anything.  I would always have a smile on my face, even when I was tired because I’d be grateful that I had a couch on which to rest.  I’d never feel I lacked anything because I already have so much!  I think, then, I’d be in a position to do and say everything in the name of the Lord because my heart will have been prepared to receive Him.  His nature would become my nature.  I would do what Jesus would do.

“And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”  Colossians 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment