WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Friday, June 3, 2011

June 3


“To repent means to stop going one direction, to turn around completely, and to go the opposite way....Repentance indicates a decisive change, not merely a wishful resolution.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 6/3

The keyword is “decisive”.  For those of us who have a difficult time making decisions this presents a problem.  To make a decision is to make up one’s mind.  This is my problem, too.  To make up my mind requires that I let go of some other way of thinking.  I’m a saver by nature--at least it feels like my nature.  My house and life betray me!  I use to think that once my mother passed on (a saver big time) I would no longer feel compelled to save everything I ever owned--from pieces of paper to furniture.  When she was alive I could “hear” her reasons in my head for not throwing this or that away.  But even though she is no longer with me in body, she is still with me in thought, and I continue to keep things for “just in case”.  When I get to the point of feeling totally inundated I make what I call a decision to clean out the clutter.  But I rarely get rid of very much.  Likewise, my repentance often proves to be wishful thinking rather than a true changing of my mind about things.  Before we can act differently we have to think differently, otherwise our thoughts will sabotage our new way of doing things.  I realize now that it is fear that keeps me from changing my mind.  I’ve grown comfortable with the way I think even though it’s not “working” for me.  Lord, I know that I can only find true comfort in You.  May I make the right decision today about that and not change my mind!

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all Comfort...”  1 Corinthians 1:3

No comments:

Post a Comment