WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

July 27


“Continually we find the Lord calling upon the people not to profane his name, that is, not to live and act and talk in such a way as to give others a false idea of his character and his works.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, Daily Secrets, 7/27

The third commandment says we are not to take the Lord’s name in vain.  Today we feel we’ve kept that one as long as we don’t use a swear word in conjunction with God’s name.  But the spirit of the law--which Jesus came to fulfill--is much broader.  We are continually breaking that commandment every time we do not live as though we believe God.  Hannah says that “God’s namings always mean character” and this includes Himself.  We are calling God a liar every time we act in a fearful way.  I believe we are even calling Him a liar when we ask Him to be with someone since He has already promised to do so.  Instead we should be expressing our thanks and if we feel any anxiety, I feel our prayer instead should be one of confession!    Do you trust the Lord?!  “Then, why, oh my soul, are you downcast?” is a question we should be asking ourselves.  Thank you, Father, for being Who You say You are.  Forgive me for not believing You.  I confess my unbelief and thank You for the help You’ve promised me to put my trust in You.

“The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy, they are established for ever and ever, to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness.  He sent redemption to his people; he has commanded his covenant forever.  Holy and [awe-inspiring] is his name!”  Psalm 111:7-9

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I believe I have been praying wrong. When I ask the Lord to watch over my family and keep them safe I should really be praying God, thank you for watching over my family and keeping them safe and forgive me when I doubt your power.

    ReplyDelete