WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Friday, July 29, 2011

July 29


“The tragedy now is not the Cross of Christ.  That has become victory.  The tragedy now is that those of us who receive this peace He made there, walk away from the Cross and forget it.  We forget we have no right to resent...to be bitter...to be afraid.  We have no rights if we follow Christ.  This is the freedom.”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S., 7/29

I’ve always known that we have no rights if we follow Christ, but I’d never thought of it in terms of “no right to resent...to be bitter...to be afraid.”  Put that way it sounds as though they are things I should want!  But now that I take a step back and look at it I can understand what Eugenia is saying.  How often do I demand “my right” to be respected and cared for.  And how often when I don’t receive that “right” do I feel justified in being resentful and bitter?  And when I take a risk of any kind, whether it be financially or in personal relationships, do I feel it’s my "right" to have things go my way and when they don’t I become afraid I’m going to lose something?  Am I not demanding my “right” to be afraid?  To be free in Christ means, in a sense, I have no expectations other than to be loved by God.  God’s love gives me everything I need--I have no need of “rights” anymore.  When we have “rights” we must protect them.  By having no “rights” we are set free from this impossible task. 

“So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.”  John 8:36

No comments:

Post a Comment