WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Thursday, August 11, 2011

August 11


“‘Watch and pray.’ But we do not.  We’ve been busy.  And the temptation-bolt strikes and we are set aflame with a quick new desire to take or to become or to possess!”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S., 8/11

These verbs--take, become, possess--are good watchwords.  If I find myself in that frame of mind, I should be watchful for the temptation that is lying in wait for me.  It surely means I’ve taken matters into my own hands!  Many times I have plenty of warning--I will feel impatient and anxious and then move forward anyway just because I want to see what lies ahead.  But too often the result is the same as with opening the oven door while the soufflé is “in process”--my interference spoils the meal!  I say I trust God, but I just need to know.....NOW.  This is asking for God’s grace in advance and not truly trusting Him.  If I feel I have to prepare myself emotionally for disappointments or disasters, I’m saying that God’s grace is not sufficient. An even better translation for “not sufficient” is “not competent” for this is really what I am declaring when I do not rest in God’s grace.  My children will be very glad to know that I’m finally learning this lesson for they have had to bear the brunt of my anxiety the most.  Lord, may my change in attitude and therefore behavior show them that you are indeed trustworthy.

“Not that we are competent of ourselves to claim anything as coming from us; our competence is from God, who has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant, not in a written code but in the Spirit; for the written code kills, but the Spirit gives life.”  2 Corinthians 3:5, 6

No comments:

Post a Comment