WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Saturday, August 13, 2011

August 13


“Jesus did not say that the world will know Him by our miracles, by our grand testimonies, or by our vast Bible knowledge.  The world will know Him by the love that Christians show to one another.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 8/13

Ouch!  What made Blackaby’s devotional today personal was his statement, “We expect more of Christians, and we feel betrayed when they fail us.....We must set aside the self-centered attitude that leads to impatience and criticism of others.”  I can fool myself into thinking I love my fellow Christians until one of them disappointments me.  Why do I need other Christians to have less faults than I have?  Am I afraid that if they aren’t perfect how can I ever be?  Aren’t I looking at flesh rather than Christ when I do this?  And why can’t I set aside this habit--this self-centered attitude?  As I ask these questions I’m wondering if the fact that my earthly father’s poor example is the driving force behind my need for others to prove to me that following Christ wholeheartedly is possible.  Yes, it’s very encouraging to look to the saints who have gone before and seen their success, but I mustn’t base my own Christian journey on what others have or have not done.  I’m not to compare myself to anyone but Christ.  I need to keep my eyes only on Christ and my heart open to my brothers and sisters in Christ.

“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.  By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”  John 13:34, 35

No comments:

Post a Comment