WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Sunday, August 14, 2011

August 14


“It is of vital importance to the children of God that they understand that God’s strength can be made perfect only in human weakness.  For in the spiritual life the natural man never can feel strong in himself, and if we think we ought to, we will be continually troubled.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 8/14

The key word in the above for me is “only”.  Even though I tend to be an either/or person in most things, for some reason, when it comes to my weaknesses, I prefer to pick and choose what best caters to my whim at the moment!  I will be content with being weak and letting God’s power come through me when it fits my mood!  If I’m feeling like I don’t want to be vulnerable, I will draw on my human strength when I feel it’s taking God too long to help me.  Unfortunately for my flesh, but fortunately for my spirit, I am continually troubled.  If I weren’t, I’d not run to God eventually.  If being strong in the flesh were something I could sustain and it continued to “work for me,” then I’d never be inclined to recline on the Lord.  This is why we should not desire and therefore seek after fame and fortune.  These entities often enable us to grow stronger in the flesh thus preventing us from ever discovering just how loving and trustworthy our God is.  Lord, may I never lose my sense of need that continually fuels my desire to rest in your love.

“but He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’  I will all the more gladly boast of my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” 2 Corinthians 12: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment