WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

August 30


“If we were gifted with eyes that could see the unseen kingdom of evil, I believe we would discover that a terror and faintness have fallen upon all the forces of hell, and that they see, in every man and woman of faith, a sure and triumphant conqueror.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, Daily Secrets, 8/29

Yes, this would make a difference in my life.  I believe I would live a triumphant Christian life.  So as I think about it and admit that I don’t live this kind of life I have to ask myself, why?  I believe the truth of what Hannah says so why don’t I experience a victorious life?  If I were gifted with these special eyes to be able to see the unseen, then certainly any disobedience on my part would be flat out rebellion and therefore evil.  But I cannot see with my eyes.  However, before I wish for these special eyes I must see something of the utmost importance.  In our entertainment world today the film industry is able to deceive us in miraculous ways.  Images can be computer-generated that make us think we are seeing the real thing.  Even before all this technology film could take us into a make-believe world with a splice here and a splice there.  So, just because I might be able to see the unseen kingdom is no guarantee that what I’m seeing is real.  Satan is a master of disguises--how could I ever be sure of what I was seeing.  I understand why faith is the only answer.  My faith in God is what will enable me to see all I need to see.  I can put my trust in my faith if it is in God, the creator of all.  All I need believe is that God loves me, and I will be able to follow His direction around and through all that terrifies me.  But I also see now that part of seeing is first admitting that I am terrified.


“For we have not a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.  Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”  Hebrews 4:15, 16

No comments:

Post a Comment