WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Sunday, August 7, 2011

August 7


“If your heart is broken and contrite, give thanks.  You are among the blessed who are in a position to be healed.  Don’t complain.”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S., 8/9

I’ve actually reached the point of desiring this brokenness because it’s different than the brokenness I’ve been used to my whole life.  My old brokenness was a smashed ego.  Ego does not like being smashed.  It has nowhere to go and therefore lies there writhing in misery begging for mercy.  The moment it is given and it’s “back on its feet” it immediately finds a way to retaliate.  It often becomes more inflated than ever as a means of protection for some future assault.  This yo-yo type of existence eventually wears a person out.  Depression may result.  This depression sometimes can be mistaken for humility, but it is not.  The heart that is truly broken and contrite toward God experiences a blessed freedom that cannot exist otherwise here on earth.  It is a connectedness to God with a resulting peacefulness that cannot be explained in human terms.  It is truly to be desired.

“And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  Philippians 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment