WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Monday, September 5, 2011

September 5


“God may leave an ‘enemy’ there for our growth and refinement for a while, but if we are depending solely upon His character and are resting in His intentions toward us, we can be certain that at the time He knows to be right, those same ‘everlasting arms’ will ‘. . . thrust out the enemy from before’ us.”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S., 9/3

I recently visited a church in another city and heard a sermon on the five wise and five foolish virgins.  The speaker used it to illustrate that not only was it important how we waited but who we waited for.  The virgins in the parable represented the church and the bridegroom is Christ.  Through it I realized that I often grow discouraged when I am made to wait for something I know to be good.  Instead, I must be careful to be prepared as the wise virgins were by having enough “oil” to last through the entire night.  Discouragement is a huge enemy in our lives.  If allowed a foothold, we forget whom we’re waiting for.  If we think we are waiting for a circumstance to change or an object to be acquired, we are wrong.  What we’re actually waiting for is a “who” and that “who” is God Himself to sit on the throne of our lives.  Being made to wait is necessary sometimes in order for us to get this straight.  I shared this with the woman who sat in front of me as she commented on the sermon and said she was in a waiting period in her life.  She agreed with my statement, adding that after all, everything that happens to us is meant to draw us closer to God.  It was a wonderful moment of sharing God’s truth with another believer. I know she was just as encouraged as I was.

“I have sent him to you for this very purpose, that you may know how we are, and that he may encourage your hearts.” Ephesians 6:22

No comments:

Post a Comment