WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Saturday, October 15, 2011

October 15


“I....poured out my troubles.  I expected her to take a deep interest in me and to take great pains to do all she could to help me.  She listened patiently enough and did not interrupt me.  But when I had finished my story and paused, expecting sympathy and consideration, she simply said, ‘Yes, all you say may be very true, but then, in spite of it all, there is God.’”  Hannah Whitall Smith, Daily Secrets, 9/24

Hannah made several more visits to this deeply spiritual Christian and attempted to convince her that her problems were much more serious than the woman realized.  Each time the woman merely restated her original advice, “There is God.” While I’ve not had such a person to go to, I have gone to God with my problems with this same attitude.  I’ll reiterate my difficulty to God and when He doesn’t give me an immediate solution or at least a pat on the head, I claim He just doesn’t understand.  I don’t come right out and say it that way of course, but every time I leave my time with God feeling dejected, this is what I’m saying with my actions. Hannah eventually believed this woman and came under conviction herself.  We must believe, too.  Otherwise, we will take credit when things go well and blame others or even God when things don’t go well and thereby never experience God’s presence in our difficulties.  If we truly are ever to trust God we must believe that “there is God” for all our troubles.

“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear though the earth should change, though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble with its tumult.”  Psalm 46:1-3

2 comments:

  1. As a friend long ago pointed out to me, when I was blamng God for something.. he said:" When you point a finger at anyone in blame, three come back at you." I remember that often as I might fall and be i a temper tantrum of " I wanna know now!" when I know full well, there is no time in GOD's kingdom, only His plan for my salvation to work it out. No one can do it for me.. but if I listen to HIM I get the right prompts to stay the course, and move forward in His grace. Merri

    ReplyDelete