WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Monday, October 31, 2011

October 31


“The literal translation of ‘an horrible pit’ (“He brought me up also out of an horrible pit...” Psalm 40:2) is an horrible pit of noise.”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S. 10/12

Eugenia goes on to talk about the noise around us, but what I thought about immediately was the noise within me.  All the noise of my old thoughts running through my head.  In fact, one night this past week I woke up suddenly and “heard” my thoughts.  I wasn’t dreaming, I was thinking in my sleep.  It rather startled me because in a sense I was “talking” to myself like I often do during the day, only now I wasn’t aware of what I was saying.  What if it was all negative?  Who knows what I was telling myself in my sleep!  It made me realize just how important it is to relinquish all control in my life to God--to no longer resist Him.  I may be able to delude myself into thinking I have control over my thoughts, but as soon as I go unconscious there is a whole other realm of my mind that has it’s own free will!  I can only imagine the effect it has on my life after spending 7 hours or so indoctrinating my mind with whatever it wishes!  None of us can ever have perfect control over our lives and at this point in my life I realize I don’t want that kind of control anyway.  I’ve not always made the best decisions for myself it turns out.  Instead, as I quit resisting God, my thoughts will be God’s thoughts.  This is true freedom.

“No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.”  John 15:15

No comments:

Post a Comment