WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

October 4


“We recognize that the interaction between people provides one of the most fruitful areas for coming into contact with God.”  Martin Cobin, 1961, Daily Readings from Quaker Writings, 9/20

Saturday I tagged along with my son to the Farmer’s Market a few blocks from his house in north Baltimore.  After looking things over I decided to wait in the shade while he finished his shopping.  A frail-looking elderly man, walking with a cane, approached me and asked if I had any spare change.  I had to ask him to repeat what he said because he spoke so softly.  I normally do not give to panhandlers because I know too many are con artists, but this gentleman did not give me this impression.  He was clean and dressed of average means and did not look as though he was destitute, yet I felt compelled to give to him.  I reached into my purse and handed him a dollar, feeling I’d done a good deed for giving him more than he’d asked for.  He thanked me and then continued to mill around the market.  I had plenty of time to act on the feelings of remorse that invaded my thoughts....I was perfectly able to give him $5 or even $20....it wasn’t too late.....It wasn’t until I was in bed that night that I realized I’d missed a wonderful opportunity to be generous not only with my money but with myself.  I could have been friendly and struck up a conversation with him.  Perhaps he had a need that his nice appearance did not convey.  But even more than that I may very well have missed an opportunity to come in contact with God.

“And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.’”  Matthew 25:40

No comments:

Post a Comment