WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Thursday, November 10, 2011

November 10


“Our job is not to transform people into Christians nor to convict them of their sin. It is not our responsibility to make people do what they ought to do.  Our task is to bring them to Jesus, and He will perform His divine work in their lives.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 10/21

Blackaby uses Andrew as an example.  He was always bringing people to Jesus.  Peter, his brother, was the first he brought.      Then it was the little boy with the loaves of bread and fishes.  But we don’t have Jesus in the flesh to bring people to.  When we introduce people to Jesus it often seems more of a concept than a reality.  I think this is why we don’t bother with “bringing people to Jesus”.  This is why we have to come to the realization that we are now “Jesus”.  If we are “born again”, we have the Holy Spirit and it is God’s Spirit within us that people will see--or not see.  Our job, now, is to let God’s light shine from within us.  This is the living Christ that we are to bring people to.  It means I must open my life to others.  This is how I bring people to Jesus today--being an open book.  If I let Christ live in me, people will see Him.  The moment we begin to preach to people who are not seeking is the moment we cause people to turn away.  That is why we must follow the Holy Spirit’s lead because we often do not know who is seeking and who is not.  This is all the work of the Holy Spirit.  Our job is just to bring people to Jesus.

“For once you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord; walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true),”  Ephesians 5:8, 9

2 comments:

  1. Your message today is so very true. We as GOD's children cannot "preach" to others. We can only love one another & be supportive to those that are suffering. A listening ear, a smile, a hug, and sharing what GOD has helped us get through. Like me, my journey fighting breast cancer.

    ReplyDelete