WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Friday, November 25, 2011

November 25


“[God’s] commands are not grievous, we are told, but surely they would be grievous if we were utterly unable to obey them.... He tells us that we need have no fear in doing what he has commanded us to do, for he is in every command he gives and will always bestow the necessary power to obey it.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, Daily Secrets, 11/3

How many times have I told God “I just can’t do it”?  It always seems to occur when putting myself in a vulnerable position--especially in relationships where I fear I’ll be taken advantage of.  In fact, any area of insecurity is a potential area of disobedience for me.  There will be times, though, that I step out in faith but then bail out along the way.  I realize I need to be more aware of what I am thinking in those times.  I know that God hasn’t taken back the power He’s given me to obey, so I must be telling myself something that makes me think He has.  Is it that I’ve become focused on myself instead of Him?  This is part of that pride issue we’ve been warned about--pride comes before the fall.  I can see in my own life how the process begins: I’m afraid, then trust God, receive the power to move forward, begin to feel confident, start taking credit, and before I know it, I’m feeling less confident, more vulnerable, and everything grinds to a halt.  The only way this cycle can be broken is to finally settle the Self issue.  Do I or do I not want to totally identify with Christ?  It is then, and only then, that I am freed for God to empower me to obey Him.

“There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear.  For fear has to do with punishment, and he who fears is not perfected in love.  We love, because he first loved us.”  1 John 4:18, 19

No comments:

Post a Comment