WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Saturday, December 3, 2011

December 3


“It is a severe rebuke upon us that God makes us so many allowances and we make so few to our neighbor, as if charity had nothing to do with religion or love with faith....What we love we’ll hear, what we love we’ll trust, and what we love we’ll serve, ay, and suffer for too.”  William Penn (1644-1718), Daily Readings from Quaker Writings, 11/10

Love is the hallmark of a Christian, yet we do not make it a priority.  We think we do because we make a point of doing good, but that is not the same thing.  I had an encounter with someone yesterday who has a way of pushing my ego button with their ego.  I always automatically respond in kind.  This morning I realized I started it with something I said.  I couldn’t see that at the time.  Now I can see the reason it started is because like attracts like.  This other person’s ego reaction was just mirroring my own ego.  I couldn’t see that yesterday either.  Then as I read William Penn’s words, scripture came flooding in:  “Let love be genuine.”  I suddenly realized I had been trying to show love to this person and not actually loving them.  I understand why I cannot sustain that kind of love.  That kind of love can only come from God.  That is why we have to “let” it.  If I try just to show love, I will always fail because that kind of love is always looking for a return on its investment.   It’s that simple.

“Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good...outdo one another in showing honor.  Never flag in zeal, be aglow with the Spirit, serve the Lord.  Rejoice in your hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer....Bless those who persecute you...Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep....do not be haughty...Repay no one evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.”  Romans 12:9-17

No comments:

Post a Comment