WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Thursday, April 7, 2011

April 7


“The divine seed within us is being quickened by the Holy Spirit whenever we feel inward stirrings and longings after holiness.  This is the begetting of God.  Then comes our responsibility.  We cannot create life, but we can let life live.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, Daily Secrets, 4/7

I just heard a sermon on the radio that asked the question, "What comes between you and Jesus to block your trusting him?"  The preacher suggested things like our idolizing people or possessions, but I have another one to add:  being right but not having your advice heeded.  I can get so caught up sometimes in being right about something that I cannot see what Christ is doing in the other person.  My motive is to protect them from making a mistake.  Sometimes there may be selfishness attached because their mistake may affect me, but other times I have no personal interest at stake, but still I feel the need to make them "see the light". Ultimately, all I can do is make a suggestion.  People respond better to “have you considered doing this” because it makes it easier for them to change their minds.  So why do I feel so desperate that they take my advice?  Lord, forgive me for not trusting You in whatever you are working out of or into their lives and mine.  May I let Your Life live in me.

“Other seeds fell on good soil .....As for what was sown on good soil, this is he who hears the word and understands it; he indeed bears fruit, and yields, in one case a hundredfold, in another sixty, and in another thirty.”  Matthew 13:8a, 23

No comments:

Post a Comment