WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Friday, April 22, 2011

April 22


“A trial comes, or a disappointment, and instead of recognizing it as God’s servant, sent to bring us some blessing from his hand, we bow down to it as our tyrannical master and let it crush us into darkness and despair.” Hannah Whitall Smith, Daily Secrets, 4/22

Once again Hannah has turned my perspective 180 degrees!  A trial or disappointment a servant of God?  A servant.  I must think on this for a while.  A servant does his master’s bidding.  If he doesn’t he’s removed from his position or punished severely, depending on the disposition of the master.  A servant also only does what his master instructs--nothing more, nothing less.  This is very comforting to me.  I have come to believe this to be true for trials--that they are allowed into my life for my ultimate good.  But I’d not thought about this in regard to my disappointments.  Were my expectations from God?  Or me?  I’ve often wondered why I’d have such high expectations only to suffer disappointment. Now I don’t even have to ask that question because it doesn’t matter.  What matters is that the disappointment is God’s servant, and it will do God’s bidding in my life.  It will either bring me to some knowledge of God or myself or to a place that is necessary for my future blessing. 

“Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.”  Philippians 2:12, 13

No comments:

Post a Comment