WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Saturday, April 16, 2011

April 16


...when we choose to leave “Egypt” behind and go on with God, we need His power every minute to look to Him....It keeps us constantly dependent upon Him and this increases our union with Him and therefore our joy and our strength.”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S. 4/16

Eugenia cautions us not to look back longingly at “Egypt”.  Egypt is where we came from--the old life--the life without Christ--the place where we were enslaved to sin.  I don’t have to look back very far.  Even though I was officially delivered from sin when I was a child, I didn’t know I was no longer a slave so I continued to act like one.  In fact, just yesterday I acted like a slave to sin.  I’m trying to understand why in the world I would want to be a slave again!  Is it because it feels so familiar and, therefore, comfortable?  Is it a choice I make?  Yes and no.  It’s not that I choose to be a slave, but rather that I do not choose to keep my eyes on God.  Once I take my eyes off Him my choices become either them or me and, of course, I choose me.  If my choice is Him, them, or me I’m going to choose Him every time.  But for some reason I forget He is one of my choices!  This is the power of sin over me that I’m beginning to understand.  Hannah W. Smith talks about the “I” religion versus the “Not I” religion.  She says, “We do not consider how our heavenly Father loves us, and longs for us, and grieves over our wandering, and will rejoice at our return.”  I think it’s time I start living the “Not I” religion.

“And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt.”  Matthew 26:39

No comments:

Post a Comment