WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Saturday, April 9, 2011

April 9


“Jesus did not say He would show us a better way of life.  He is not  “way-shower” as the modern cult would have us believe.  He Himself is the way.  He Himself is the life.”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S., 4/9

This is a very important point that Christians do seem to overlook.  However, it’s not just in modern times.  I’ve investigated several sects of Christianity:  Quakerism, Methodism, Brethren, Amish, Missionary and Alliance.  I’ve read history books about their founders, or the writings of the founders themselves.  Each one of them seemed to hold a truth that their society wasn’t preaching, let alone living.  But when I examine those sects today I see nothing that comes close to what they taught in their beginnings.  Why is this?  I believe that people began to follow the leader and not the originator.  The leaders had a direct contact with God Himself.  They were living Christ’s life.  Their followers, however, were merely imitating the life of the leader.  Subsequent generations became distant relatives.  I suppose this is human nature, but we must stop it if we’re ever to raise up a generation that God can use to bring about his Kingdom here on Earth.  Lord, help us to see the fallacy in putting our hope in anyone other than the person of Jesus Christ.  Amen

“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me;”  Galatians 2:20a

No comments:

Post a Comment