WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Monday, November 21, 2011

November 21


“There is no slavery like the slavery of love, but its chains are sweet.  It knows nothing of ‘sacrifice,’ no matter what may be given up.  It ‘desires to do the will’ of the beloved one.  Our Lord can never be satisfied until this is the attitude of our souls toward him.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, Daily Secrets, 10/30

Besides repopulation of the earth, I think the whole point of becoming parents is to teach us this one thing about God.  Unfortunately, though, we need someone like Hannah to point this out to us.  I’ve felt this way toward my children.  I love them so much and so unconditionally that no matter what they do or don’t do I am willing to sacrifice anything for them, including my life.  It is my desire to give them everything they want.   This is the only time I become frustrated because they don’t always want what’s best for themselves and I have to say “no”.  When I stop to think about it I get a better understanding of God’s love for me and how He must feel when I do not desire to do His will.  If God can get frustrated, I must be a real source of it for Him!  It is very encouraging to know that He will never be satisfied until I have this “desires-to-do-the-will-of” attitude because I know He will never let me go.  This is unconditional love.

“Jesus said to them, ‘My food is to do the will of him who sent me, and to accomplish his work.’”  John 4:34

No comments:

Post a Comment