WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Saturday, November 26, 2011

November 26


“The psalmist said he responded to the Lord’s call to ‘seek My face’ (Psalm 27:8).  It’s the idea of God longing for fellowship with me that now draws me into His presence.  My quiet times with God are no longer a dreary duty, but a response to my Father who yearns to spend time with me.”  David Roper, Our Daily Bread, 11/3

This is a most heartening thought for me.  I immediately identified with the feeling Mr. Roper has captured--how I feel when I can tell someone wants to be with me.  For me, that is what being “in love” is all about.  We all have plenty of people we love, but it’s only when you are made aware that the other person wants to spend time with you as much as you want to spend time with them that you can say you are “in love”.   It’s the feeling you get when you first discover a friend who shares your same interests, when you and your boy/girlfriend first declare your love for each other, when your newborn child is first laid in your arms.  Unfortunately, life always gets in the way and those feelings of being “in love” turn into duty.  Love calls us to put up with being excluded, ignored, or fed and changed on demand!  God, on the other hand never excludes us, ignores us, or demands anything from us that He doesn’t provide to begin with.  Being “in love” with God is never a risk. It is always a win/win situation.  True freedom is to wake up each morning declaring, “I am in love with You, Lord!”

“Because he cleaves to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name.  When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will rescue him and honor him.  With long life I will satisfy him, and show him my salvation.”  Psalm 91:14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment