WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

November 22


“Satan is the father of lies and a master deceiver (John 8:44).  If he can convince you that God has not defeated him, then you will not experience Jesus’ victory.  You will find yourself fighting battles that Christ has already won!  You will fear Satan though he has already been utterly and humiliatingly defeated.  Your responsibility is to resist Satan, and he will flee from you (James 4:7).”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 10/31

My struggle with my “ego”--that part of me that does not want what God has planned for me--feels exactly like what Blackaby ascribes to our struggle with Satan.  My ego engages me in battles just like Satan does, trying to convince me that no one loves me nor cares about me so that I’d better take rather than give.  It lies to me, making me think it’s looking after my best interest, then deserts me the moment I feel lost and confused.  I’m sure anyone who has tried to rely on their ego has experienced the same problems.  Because I was born with my ego and relied on it for so many years I feel as though I’m betraying myself when I try to ignore it.  Because I now have the Holy Spirit I no longer “need” my ego, but it continues to make me feel guilty only because I allow it to. If I give it some sympathy, I’m immediately reengaged in a battle to keep it from taking control back.  This is what Satan does.  Give him an inch and he takes over.  This is why we must realize that Satan is dead to us.  We only bring him back to life when our thoughts try to convince us that he’s not dead.  This is what we must resist.  God has given us all the tools we need.

“Behold, I have given you authority to tread upon serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy; and nothing shall hurt you.”  Luke 10:19

No comments:

Post a Comment