WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Friday, November 18, 2011

November 18


“Be still and wait, God will show you clearly and simply, if you are willing to follow His instructions.  He knows whether or not you and I are willing..... So, if He knows us to be unwilling in some perplexing matter, what would be the point in giving directions until He has brought us by a means of His own, to the point of willingness?  He will never add to your confusion.”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S., 10/28

This is a wonderful point!  Often, when I am confused, I ask God to pick one of the explanations I’ve provided Him in my multiple-choice quiz.  Sometimes I will have no choices to offer and simply ramble off my confusing thoughts hoping God will make some sense out of them and set me straight.  Now I understand why I sometimes do not get a clear-cut answer from Him.  If I’m not willing to obey the answer, then why bother telling me!  In fact, I think my confusion is caused by the fact that I’ve left the path of obedience looking for my own answers.  It’s on that side road that I become disoriented and confused.  But rather than turn around and head back to the point where I left the path, I try to find my way back through the woods.  No wonder I get lost in the dense underbrush.  Eugenia is reminding me that my job isn’t to figure things out, but instead to be willing to obey.  Once God knows I am willing, He is able to set me straight and lead me through whatever darkness may have clouded my vision. 

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight.  In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.”  Proverbs 3:5, 6 

No comments:

Post a Comment