WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Thursday, November 3, 2011

November 3


“We long for human love to bring us peace.  At times it brings great peace and great joy.  But only the love of God brings peace and joy in all things and under all circumstances.”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S., 10/14

This message is not really taught to children.  We tell them about God’s love, but I suspect we spend more time telling them how to behave according to God’s law.  I know I did not emphasize God’s love to my children.  That’s because I didn’t understand it myself. As a Sunday School teacher I taught about God which invariably addressed this fact--God is love.  We sang the little song “God is so Good”, and I told them stories of how God cared for His people, but I know I never told them that only God can love us the way we need to be loved.  I now finally understand this myself.  In fact, I’ve finally realized that the last bastion is love of oneself.  It’s when you finally realize that you don’t even love yourself as much as God does that you are finally able to rely only on God’s love (1 John 4:19).  If we are honest with ourselves I think we’d all have to admit that we come into this world believing that it’s our right to be loved.  We then set out to get that love in any way we can.  Because we are so greatly influenced by the world we go about it in the wrong way until someone either tells us that only God can love us the way we need to be loved or when we hit rock bottom and have no where to look but up.  Unfortunately, not everyone lands on his or her back.  Those who don’t never do see God.

“Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  Philippians 4:6, 7

1 comment:

  1. I was just talking to my husband about this.. keeping my eyes on Jesus only . THEN he will show me who is going to help me do things a step at a time.. He is a minister.. and totally surrendered all to God. That means to him, never getting ahead of his Father. Then things do not work out. So .. God loves us so much he gave his only son to die on the cross for us and that is the supreme love of our lives. When we understand that fact, then God brings us more love than we can ever hope for. Things go right, things are easy for us. and we do receive the desires of our hearts then.. not by our own design, but His.

    ReplyDelete