WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Sunday, November 6, 2011

November 6


“God does not tell us we are the workmen, who are to use and manage the instruments, but that we are the instruments to be used and managed by the Divine Master Workman who made us, and who alone, therefore, understands for what work we are best fitted.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, Daily Secrets, 10/15

I’ve been in churches that have put an emphasis on the gifts of the Spirit to the point of giving people tests to help them discover which gifts they have.  While this may be helpful in the secular world, I believe it sends the wrong message to Christians.  It puts us in the position of the workman who uses his talents to serve God when, as Hannah points out, we are the gifts--the instruments.  I’ve never thought of myself as a gift, but that is what I am if I am a pliable instrument in God’s Hand.  As an instrument I am freed from the outcome and instead can enjoy the process.  I believe that if we could get this one thing straight we wouldn’t suffer regrets in our old age.  How often do we look back on our lives and measure its success by results.  Very few of us probably ever live out our dreams to their fullest.  If, however, we lived our lives enjoying each day’s process without regard to it’s outcome, we could look back and feel a satisfaction beyond our dreams.  Dreams are great, but they are overrated.  Real life happens without any planning. Real life is in the details of each day--from sunrise to sunset.  Those are the moments we should be able to look back on and see God’s Hand in our lives.

“His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a little, I will set you over much; enter into the joy of your master.’”  Matthew 25:21

3 comments:

  1. YES!!!!!! This is exactly what I am endeavoring to learn.. to enjoy each day's process , so beautifully put ... so wonderful and comforting... one day's rejoicing process.... loved, cherished and received in grace. WOW.... thank you for this glory ... thank you for allowing me to see it, feel it and now place it in my action ... not looking back on success or failure.. but enyoing the process. In the series THE CROWN Queen Elizabeth , when she hears of Kennedy's assanation , says. as she had heard from Mrs Kennedy how hard her life was with Jack.. Elizabeth says watching Mrs Kennedy covered in blood of her husband,,,," If we only knew it was happiness after all when we complained. "

    ReplyDelete