WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

November 8


“In the Gospel of John, Christ takes the name ‘I Am’ as His very own.  This unfinished name of God seems to me like a blank check signed by a rich friend, given to us to be filled in with whatever amount we may desire.  Every attribute of God, every revelation of His character, every proof of His undying love, every declaration of His watchful care, every assertion of His purposes of tender mercy, every manifestation of His loving kindness--all are the filling in of this unfinished ‘I Am'.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 10/17

I think I’d have a hard time accepting a blank check from a friend.  I’d worry I was spending more than they’d intended.  I’d feel much better if they’d fill in the amount.  But I’d probably still feel uncomfortable accepting such a gift unless I felt I could repay them in some way for their generosity.  Is this why we treat God the same way?  Is it so ingrained in us to work for what we get that we feel we need to reciprocate?  When it comes to friends, this is not a bad thing.  No one likes to be taken for granted. But if I take a closer look at what Hannah has said I see that the “things” God wants to give us are not gifts like a friend would give.  God is offering Himself to us.  He is love.  When we accept God’s blank check of Himself we are accepting Love into our lives.  His Love is meant to set us free which in turn allows us to become all that He made us to be.  Being made in His image we are being set free to become all that we already are.  This is the blank check that Hannah speaks of--the continual, never-ending help to become.

“But to all who received him (Christ), who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God;” John 1:12 

No comments:

Post a Comment