WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Monday, February 28, 2011

February 29

“A mark of spiritual maturity is a willingness to sacrifice personal comfort in order to strengthen other believers.  Paul urges Christians to pursue only activities that promote peace and behavior that builds up others.” 
H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 2/29

In yesterday’s reading Eugenia spoke about losing awareness of those around us because we’re so wrapped up in ourselves.  Today Blackaby is showing me why it matters so much that I deal with my guilt.  I’ve always known that guilt is a killer.  I know this first hand because it’s why my father took his own life.  The truth is anyone who still holds onto their guilt is taking their own life, albeit slowly.  This erosion of our worth only serves to poison those around us as well because it severely “limits the Holy One of Israel” as Eugenia points out.  We are called to be salt and light in this world--reconcilers and encouragers. If we are so focused on ourselves, we never see the pain of others nor are we available to be used by God. May we never neglect this responsibility!  But glory be unto God, it is by the grace of God we are enabled to be a blessing to others through the power of our resurrected Lord.

“For once you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord; walk as children of light.”  Ephesians 5:8

No comments:

Post a Comment