WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Saturday, February 12, 2011

February 12

“It is a dangerous thing to live your life without a spiritual “plumb line,” or standard, by which you determine right from wrong.  God’s Word is that plumb line.  Spiritual laws, like physical laws, are meant to protect you, not restrict you.”  H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 2/12

Trying to live life without God’s “plumb line” is like trying to hang wallpaper in a crooked room.  “Eyeballing” it just doesn’t get the job done if what you’re comparing it to is out of whack. 

I don’t think anyone would say our world is “in whack”, would you?  Yet, most of us continue to compare our lives to how the world is doing and feel we’re not doing half bad--so that’s good enough.  It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that if you calculate the first measurement wrong by just a fraction and continue to calculate the next thing in a “close enough” manner by the time you get down the line the calculation is going to be way off.  Yet we humans continue to live life this way!  We were created by a masterful God who knows us like we can never know ourselves.  I’d much rather live by my Designer’s instructions than by any I may make up for myself.

“For thou didst form my inward parts, thou didst knit me together in my mother’s womb.  I praise thee, for thou art fearful and wonderful.  Wonderful are thy works! Thou knowest me right well;”  Psalm 139:13, 14

No comments:

Post a Comment