WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Saturday, February 19, 2011

February 19

“Following Jesus requires absolute obedience.  He does not seek our counsel about which direction we think is suitable....At times it will be easy to follow Jesus.  At other times, you will be tempted to abandon Him.  Following Jesus can mean going through a storm or standing on a mountaintop.”   H. Blackaby, Experiencing God Day-by-Day, 2/19

More than 20 years ago I saw a painting in a Christian bookstore in Florida that I’ve regretted not buying because it haunts me to this day--so much so, that I feel certain I will stumble across it in some secondhand shop one day.  It was a long, narrow picture of a gaggle of geese following someone (this detail I can no longer remember) with Psalm 27:11 printed along the bottom:  “Teach me thy way, O LORD; and lead me on a plain path....”  I was really just at the beginning of my Christian walk and I was looking for some easy path to get on and get in line with others as we all followed the leader.  Unfortunately, I’ve had my eyes on the other geese so much that I’ve forgotten who I was following.  Maybe that’s why I don’t remember who was leading those geese and why I can’t get that picture out of my head.  God is showing me what my idea of following has looked like.  It’s been to have my eyes on other Christians.  But all this has done is either puff me up or tear me down as I compared myself to others.  Psalm 27:11 exhorts God to teach me His way--not the ways of his followers.  Lord, it would seem I’ve finally found that picture after all!

“When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him for they know his voice.” John 10:4

2 comments:

  1. I love to go to thrift shops. That saying I will keep my eyes open & if I see it I will most certainly get it for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know if you do find one, but please don't buy it for me because I'm trying to pare down my belongings. Just take a photo of it and send that to me! ❤️

      Delete