WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Thursday, February 3, 2011

February 3

“Spiritual forces cannot work while earthly forces are active....To keep hands off in spiritual matters is as hard for us as it is for the drowning man to keep hands off the one who is trying to rescue him.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, “The God of All Comfort”, p. 83

The reason Hannah’s writing speaks so personally to me is l) she speaks the Truth and 2) she uses illustrations I can identify with.  I was feeling overwhelmed by my emotions.  I was struggling to keep from drowning.  My rescuer, knowing I would struggle too greatly with Him, threw me a life preserver--a clear command to pick up Hannah’s book and start reading.  I soon found myself afloat as I was reminded once again I cannot fight my emotions with any kind of force.  Instead it is the “good fight of faith.”  It is not the fight of effort, but of trusting---to reach out for the life preserver when it is thrown to me.  This life preserver--the armor of God that will protect me--is the shield of faith.  Hannah also pointed out to me that it was God who had wrestled with Jacob--not the other way around.   God was only able to prevail against Jacob after He had made Jacob weak by putting his thigh out of joint.  It was at this point He was able to bless Jacob and through this blessing Jacob prevailed.

“For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life is preserved.”  Genesis 32:30b

No comments:

Post a Comment