WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Saturday, February 5, 2011

February 5

“I am sure for myself that I would be far more grieved if my child should mistrust me, and should feel her interests were unsafe in my care, than if in a moment of temptation she should disobey me.  And I am convinced that none of us have appreciated how deeply it wounds the loving heart of our Lord, when He finds that His people do not feel safe in His care.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, “The God of All Comfort”, p. 114

Hannah went on to say since God is our dwelling place  nothing we commit to His care can come to any harm.  She then admonished me for continuing to worry about my children--that I must bring them with me into God’s strong tower--worrying about them is leaving them outside!  Anything that is dear to us, who have taken refuge in God, is dear to God.   It is with these words that I went to sleep last night.  I was awakened around 4:30 and remembered what I’d read, so I prayed for my children.  When it was time for my 15-year-old to get up for school I found that he had come down with the flu.  This was a test.  Had I brought him into God’s strong tower with me?  Yes!  The anxiety I usually felt whenever any of my children became ill with the simplest cold was not there.  An abiding trust instead gave me assurance that my child is in God’s healing hands.  My role is to be his comforter and even then I can be assured that it is The Comforter who will be doing the comforting.  This gives me great comfort!

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”  2 Corinthians 1:3,4

No comments:

Post a Comment