WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Sunday, February 6, 2011

February 6

“We have been slaves where we ought to have been kings.  We have found our reigning to be “much less” rather than “much more.”  Why is this?...We have let unbelief cheat us out of our rightful possessions.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, “God of All Comfort”, p. 130
Hannah contrasts the “much more” scriptures with how we live and confidently states that once we  grasp the full meaning of these “much more” verses we can never be uncomfortable or miserable again!  I sit here even now trying to absorb all that “much more” means.  I’m having my life flash before my eyes, like a dying person, seeing all the times I did not avail myself to all that God was offering me.  All the times I acted as though He was a “much less” God.  I think I’m beginning to understand what true humility is.  Perhaps true humility is a verb and not a noun.  Could it be in the actual taking God up on His promises because we admit our utter helplessness? It’s not a positional thing where I place Him on the throne because He made me and I am just his subject.  This implies I have some power to place Him there.  God is God no matter what I do or think. Humility comes in living as though my life depends on taking God up on His promises.  Suddenly humility takes on a whole new definition for me and it seems it would come quite naturally if I’m living the faith God has given me. 

“He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?  Micah 6:8

No comments:

Post a Comment