WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Thursday, June 2, 2011

June 2


“Although it is true that the Holy Spirit indwells the believer, it is equally true that unless the believer knows it and lives in the power of it, it is to him as though it were not....[Christ’s] power, however, is not manifested until, intelligently and voluntarily, the believer ceases from his own life and accepts Christ’s life in its place.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 6/2

My frustration has been my inability to find others who understand what Hannah is saying and striving to live that kind of life.  This ceasing from your own life so that you can live Christ’s life is a concept few understand.   What people do instead is try to emulate Christ while continuing to live their own lives.  No wonder we struggle so!  Only the most adept can do that and then not for very long because it is very wearing.  I know because I’ve tried.  This frustration I feel is another indication of my need to let go of looking at other people and instead focus only on Christ.  It is what He has intended all along.  He’ll do the “worrying” about everyone else.  I just need to make sure I’m being obedient to His life within me.  When I do this I’ve conquered several problems at once:  my pride, my need to be in control, my fear, my anger, my sorrow....the list can go on and on.  The life of Christ is simple.   It’s just not easy because I keep getting in the way!

“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God?  You are not your own; you were bought with a price.  So glorify God in your body.”  1 Corinthians 6:19, 20



No comments:

Post a Comment