WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

June 8


“...if you will this day ‘put yourself at the feet’ of that person who is so difficult for you even to think about, you will find,.... you actually feel your faith grow....Bow your stiff neck to her or to him and then thank God in your heart for the closer look you’ve just been given into His heart.”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S., 6/8

I wondered how submitting myself to another in this way would give me a closer look into God’s heart, but then I remembered how Jesus called the people of his day stiff-necked.  And then I saw Him hanging on the cross for those same people.  This is the glimpse into God’s heart I am meant to see.  Whenever I refuse to put myself at the feet of a person I’m feeling stiff-necked toward I must remember that Christ submitted Himself to pain and suffering for stiff-necked me.  And I must submit myself to stiff-necked people as well.  Eugenia also points out that we can’t do it on our own and that God didn’t intend for us to.  It’s not a matter of our mustering up the fortitude to do it.  It’s a matter of  relying on His Holy Spirit in us.  In fact, if we would just submit ourselves to Him completely, I’m sure we’d “find it in our hearts” to submit ourselves totally to others.  Lord, I can feel the muscles in my neck relaxing already.

“You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always resist the Holy Spirit.”  Acts 7:51a


2 comments:

  1. Amen and Amen. So easy to read and write, so hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why we should be so glad God is patient! The task isn't humbling ourselves to people, but rather humbling ourselves to God. That's why we should be so glad God is loving and gave us the means to do it--the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete