WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Thursday, June 16, 2011

June 16


“It is often hard to sit still when we see our friends mismanaging matters and making what we think of as dreadful blunders.  But the divine order is for each one of us to do our own business and to refrain from meddling with the business of anyone else.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, Daily Secrets, 6/16

Why is this a “divine order”?  Paul makes this admonishment to the church in Thessalonica (1 Thessalonians 4:10-11), but is it for us as well?  If the business involves matters that are subject to one’s own preferences, then certainly we are not to make it our business to meddle.  But, unfortunately, we can find some “sin” label to attach to some affairs and therefore feel it our duty to get involved in correcting the situation.  Trying to weed through one’s own motives can get tricky, and it would seem it best to abstain altogether from minding other people’s affairs.  This is something I need to learn.  It’s not easy to just stop doing it, so I think that is why God has closed several doors to me.  I’ve been kept from this temptation in many instances and given only a small arena in which to learn how to discern when I should get involved and when I should not.  There are times God wants us to help another, but it is only those times that HE wants us to help.  The other times we are actually meddling in God’s plans for that person!

“So in the present case I tell you, keep away from these men and let them alone; for if this plan or this undertaking is of men, it will fail; but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them.  You might even be found opposing God!”  Acts 5:38, 39

No comments:

Post a Comment