WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Saturday, June 4, 2011

June 4


“[To do God’s will] may not seem sweet at the time we are obeying.  Surely the nails which bored into Jesus’ hands on the Cross were not ‘sweet’.  But He had agreed with the Father in the garden.  He was in the will of God as He hung on the Cross, and that was enough.”  Eugenia Price, S.P.S., 6/4

As I read this morning in the midst of a struggle I was having I suddenly got a clear picture of my problem.  I was struggling because I’d abdicated my control over something God had given me control over---my thoughts and my actions.  In doing so I’d found myself trying to control something I’d not been given control over---someone else's thoughts and actions.  No wonder I feel crazy at times.  It’s like trying to pick up a chair while you’re sitting in it when all you have to do is get out of it and then you can pick it up quite easily.  So I made a phone call and wrote an e-mail and my whole mood changed.  I’d done what I could and the rest now is in God’s Hands.  In fact, I realized that if I would just take control over the things I have control over I wouldn’t be trying to grab control of God’s area of control.  From now on I’m going to ask myself what it is I can do in that moment to make a difference.  If there isn’t anything, then I know I’ve entered God’s territory and agree with Him that this is His Will for me.  He promises to always be with me.  I can trust Him to comfort me and to guide me.

“Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.”  Ephesians 5:17

No comments:

Post a Comment