WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Thursday, June 9, 2011

June 9


“The day of knowledge will dawn for us when we come to the point of implicitly believing God!  It must be understood, however, that this knowledge will come to us not as a feeling but as a perception.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 6/9

To perceive is to become aware of.  Yesterday I felt down, but I was aware that it would pass.  It always does.  So I “laid low” being careful not to “share” my feelings with anyone else.  I had already “shared” too much with someone on a day I wasn’t feeling so great and now I felt I’d made a mess of the situation.  But then, those are just my feelings.  I really don’t know how the other person has perceived what has happened.  They’d already gotten one thing wrong because they hadn’t asked--they’d made an assumption.  I’ve turned this over to the Lord and have asked Him to clear up the matter.  I have no idea if I’m to make the first move or if the other person will.  For now I will wait.  All I can do is keep my heart open and trust that the Lord will work through it at the appropriate time.  This morning I heard a story on the radio about a man who’d taken in a mentally-challenged man for a short time when his own family wouldn’t have him.  Many years later the two were placed in the same nursing home.  Now the younger man looked after the feeble old man.  As I listened I became aware of the assurance I have from God that He will always look after me.  This was not a feeling.  It was something I perceived and it’s far greater than any feeling I could possibly have.

“This is why I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.”  Matthew 13:13

No comments:

Post a Comment