WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

WRITING A DEVOTIONAL

Back in 2003 after having spent the year before reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's book "Simple Abundance" I took her suggestion to heart and wrote my own daily devotional. Each day I took a line or two from one of the various spiritual authors from the last three centuries I was reading and wrote my own thoughts on the subject. I then looked for a scripture that illustrated the truth that had been revealed to me. What follows is the result.

"Our greatest bondage is to have our own way; our greatest freedom is to let God have His way." Warren Wiersbe

Monday, October 10, 2011

October 10


“A ‘not I’ religion....denies self not in the sense of making self miserable but in the sense of utterly refusing to recognize its claims, enthroning the Christ-life in its stead always and everywhere.”  Hannah Whitall Smith, God is Enough, 9/26

Too many people think God is out to spoil all their fun and make life a drudgery.  I’m sure they get this impression from watching Christians.  I’m sure my own children got this impression from watching me.  It wasn’t that I ever acted as though following Christ was a burden, but because I am a Christian they automatically judged my behavior based on that fact.  What they saw was a very serious, anxious person.  I was not someone who could easily quit her work to play.  I was even angry at times because of my frustration with their lack of obedience.  It would have been better, I think, if they didn’t know I was a Christian because I’m sure they thought being a Christian meant all the things they saw in me--all negative.  Because I’ve “grown up” quite a bit since they were little, I’ve made it my mission to correct their impressions.  I try to talk about those days, apologizing and explaining.   I’m hoping they will understand my humanness and how spiritual growth is so necessary.  We can’t just “get saved” one day and be done with it.  We must go on in our walk with God, being open to His work in us, bringing us to maturity in Him.  I’m using my past life as an example--yes--but as an example of how not to be. 

“But if when you do right and suffer for it you take it patiently, you have God’s approval. For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.”  1 Peter 2:20b, 21

No comments:

Post a Comment